[lbo-talk] My Kind Of Town (Re: Rethinking Liberalism)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 21:47:38 PDT 2007

--- Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:

> Jim Straub wrote:
>
> > My favored strategy is literally, exactly, that:
> get the left out of the
> > left ghetto.
> >
> People are free to move to Kansas City. We aren't a
> "hip metropole" but
> our political community is growing here. On the
> other hand, there are
> plenty of "normal" people who could be engaged in
> college towns and hip
> metropoles.

You can move to Chicago too. We have lots of "real" people, politics as a full-contact sport ("do not collect $200, do not pass go, go directly to jail"), a Mayor-for-Life (Hizzoner Da Mare); an astoundingly segregated public school system, a federal court which is right wing but full of amusing characters and a state court system that is not as crooked as it was a quarter century ago; several universities -- some of them quite fine; culcha without snobbery and lots of excellent food; several sports teams, a couple of which are actually pretty good even if I favor the perennial losers; real blues, good jazz, a great symphony orchestra and a great opera; unions not all of which are run by the Outfit, great architecture that we are fighting against the developers to maintain (look up the twizzle stick Chicago Spire in River North, or don't), and a 30 mile waterfront with only one piece of commercial real estate development on the wrong side of the Drive. The "left" is manly run the ISO, this their HQ, which means that everything else is, depending on how you want to look at it, moribund or full of prospects for development. Also, it is not as cold or windy here as people think, although Spring takes a long time to arrive. It just did today.