[lbo-talk] Rethinking Liberalism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 10:10:57 PDT 2007

As someone who grew up in "unreal Virginia," NoVA, and still has a lot of contact with the area, I think I can say with authority that the idiots who think that Fairfax, Loudon, Alexandria, etc., are "unreal" because, presumably, they are supposedly full of rich latte sipping transplants from whooha, I dunno, other unreal places, have no fucking idea what they are talking about. If "real" means people who get dirt under their nails when they work or anyway get paid shit for doing shitwork, NoVA has tons of black, Asian, Hispanic, and white working class people and of course lot and lots of sojers, who about as real as you kin git. Lots of people even were born right there and live there all their lives. Even if you want Good Country People, i.e., dumb rednecks, NoVA has boatloads. I went to school with 'em. It no longer has a lot of farmland, which it did when I was growing up, the house were I lived during HS, or part of it, a couple of miles from CIA HQ, bordered on a horse pasture of a neighboring farm, now developed with gigantic pastel McMansions. I can list their zip codes. When I was growing up there we had the Klan and the Nazis too, I've seen (from a distance) a cross burning in Centerville and someone shot up my parent's synagogue in about 1970, but I think the people with absolutely NO cerebral cortex as well as no money have crawled under a rock.