[lbo-talk] Rethinking Liberalism

John Kozak j_k_ at xylema.org
Sun Apr 22 10:23:45 PDT 2007

> [anti-road protests]

> I don't know about North America but absolutely not in the UK. They
> were supported largely by a pseudo-aristocratic rump of village
> dwellers concerned about protecting the beauty of their (hugely
> expensive) rural homes and country life. Whatever popular support
> they did get was just a way of giving a two-fingered salute to the
> deeply unpopular Major adminstration.

This isn't even slightly true: the two most prominent large scale anti-road protests in England were Twyford Down and Wanstonia, organised by (Twyford Down) greens and (Wanstonia) a mix of local (East End of London) working-class residents and anarcho-squatters.

See e.g.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twyford_Down http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M11_link_road_protest

John Kozak