[lbo-talk] [DEBATE] : (Fwd) Doug Henwood on elite climate change strategy

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Sun Apr 22 23:39:59 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> I said I think cap & trade is bogus. I think a carbon tax is a good
> idea. What do you think?

Doug, did we go over this before, 12 days ago? I suggested you please *not* think of carbon taxes as market mechanisms but, ideally, as anti-market mechanisms: if done *properly* (with an intense focus on disincentivizing luxury consumption and, in the process, on cross-subsidisation of energy for basic needs), they would 'distort the markets' (get the 'prices wrong'), because they would work against the inexorable capitalist logic of declining short-run marginal cost curves. So, since Chris Doss doesn't get this either, let's sum it up like this: market mechanisms commodify life; our job is decommodification. Ok?