[lbo-talk] Doug Henwood on eliteclimate change strategy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 23 13:46:33 PDT 2007

On Apr 23, 2007, at 4:08 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> How about if we stop trying to design individual progressive taxes
> (which we seem unable to do anyway)?
>
> We've got a nice big fat juicy one in the US: income taxes. Can it be
> more progressive? Sure. But it's not bad today. And it's
> something to
> work for. So: just put the US carbon footprint on budget and divvy it
> up. End of puzzle.

Yeah, you've got a point. I'm thinking there should be some progressivity in electricity bills, so that a poor family in a small apartment pays less per kwh than does John Edwards in his 28,000 ft2 house. But as for Patrick's idea, I really don't know how to translate the concept into practice. Maybe someone else does.

Doug