[lbo-talk] Doug Henwood on eliteclimate change strategy

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Apr 23 14:03:45 PDT 2007

> I'm thinking there should be some progressivity in electricity
> bills, so that a poor family in a small apartment pays less per
> kwh than does John Edwards in his 28,000 ft2 house.

Electricity is often subsidized (which is sort of a negative tax). Here's what my power company (PG&E) does:

http://pge.com/res/financial_assistance/

Also, there's "baseline" quantity pricing and "over baseline" -- it's more expensive to use more than some vaguely defined 'fair share' ... I get hit by this because I work at home and thus use more than I "should" which I guess is fine, but I also don't drive my car to/from work each day :-)

/jordan