[lbo-talk] Rethinking Liberalism

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 17:05:37 PDT 2007

> The left was marginalized by the aggressively directed
> actions of its powerful adversaries to narrow the
> boundaries of acceptable discourse to as confined a
> space as possible.

Yeah, I absolutely agree. I definitely don't mean to assert that our self-marginalization is the cause of the current state of affairs. Its pretty low on the list compared to the corporate media, state repression, union busting, neoliberal economic adjustment, etc. But I do assert that all forms of our enclave clustering get in the way of us rebuilding and coming back swinging. This not some sin unique to us failing lefties- our country is increasingly a niche society. But we're not a hobby, we're a movement to transform society for the betterment of all, so we should aspire to being bigger and broader, or else we cannot achieve our aims.

When I call for the forced deportation of leftists from college towns, it's a tongue in cheek, provocative joke that hints at an underlying widespread problem for the left which I do not claim to have a real answer for.

But it clearly struck a nerve in bloomington, because Carrol has discerned in it my true hidden allegiances to fascism itself. This doesn't surprise me, because carrol has also discerned the rise of fascism in an anecdote recounted by bitch (I think?) about some military guys disliking bush. In fact I'm pretty sure carrol could uncover the roots of fascism in a pretty spring day, a easter egg basket or (as wojtek would say) a hamburger eating contest.

You got me, carr. Deutschland uber alles!