[lbo-talk] Rethinking Liberalism

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 17:21:19 PDT 2007

> For now, I don't see that it matters much whether one lives in a college
> town or in the suburbs, or that some like Carrol enjoy the exhilarating
> struggle for "political clarity" in smaller intellectual circles and
> others
> like Jim prefer to broadly engage more politically conventional working
> people through the unions and the DP. It's really a question of what each
> finds more personally satisfying. There's no political obligation to
> struggle over the proper course because the far left is powerless to much
> influence the course of events one way or the other.

This is very reasonable. But then what's the point of staying in the struggle? Why even be a leftist?

Wise advice, as usual, Marvin. The thing I find so hard to understand
> is that Jim has spent a lot of time trying to organize workers into
> unions - and once organized, keep them there - and from what I hear,
> the experience has made him very aware of the fact that the thinking
> of the American working class has little in common with Ours. Soooo,
> Jim, do you really think that parachuting more of us into places like
> Las Vegas ("interesting in a cultural studies kind of way for a few
> days, but after that, you realize it's just a shithole" - Christian
> Parenti, after a recent visit) will make that much of a difference?

Yes, very true. I am very demoralized about future prospects, especially after a tour of duty in vegas. But again, to eventually decide that the working class in the US just isn't gonna be down for transformative social change, what are we left with then? I still want a better world. Up to and including revolution. But that has never looked less likely. So what, instead? Ecological harm reduction? Yoshie has populist islam. Wojtek, technocratic social democracy. Carrol, intoxication on hyperbole.

I think we just have to soldier along because its the right thing to do.

Can it really be this controversial to propose that the US left hurts itself by being a bubble, an enclave, unto itself?