[lbo-talk] Here she goes again

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 10:53:20 PDT 2007

Only partly true. WS was a shareholding member of the leading theater company in the country -- the lord Chamberlain's Men, renamed the King's Men under James I -- this was with Royal permission, you didn't go around calling yourself that unless the King and his court approved --; his plays were attended by royalty and nobility as well as plebeians, he was close enough to Important People to feel the whisper of the ax when his client (and possible boyfriend) Southampton -- he was engaged to write sonnets to make the little wretch, obviously gay as coot, marry -- got mixed up with the doomed Essex rebellion; he dedicated his published poetry, which was quite popular, to Southampton; There is solid evidence that Elizabeth I knew the some of plays well and James loved theater and probably knew them. And despite WS's small Latin and less Greek the plays themselves are astoundingly learned -- enough so that snobs who can't believe a glover's son from Stratford On Avon who never went to University could learn so much so fast have spent some centuries trying to prove that WS was someone suitably Aristocratic with an Oxbridge MA.

But no, Cheney doesn't care. WS is a just a club for her to beat leftists. You know that.