[lbo-talk] Hijacking (was: Patrick Bond on climatechange strategy)

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 17:44:05 PDT 2007

--- Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:

> Wojtek writes:
>
> > whether we like it or not, a big (if not the
> biggest) part of
> > that is changing consumer behavior.
>
> The behavior you're talking about was invented and
> sold to these
> consumers; it's not their fault, the marketing
> droids told them that it
> was cool. So I think it's up to the market and
> industry to provide
> better alternatives that consumers can change to.
> Just saying "no!" is
> really a formula for disaster, just like Doug's idea
> of charging $10/gal
> for gas without providing an alternative for people
> who are stuck with
> their old dirty cars.

[WS:] Are you saying that people will switch from their SUVs and ex-urban McMansions to public transit and higher density dwelling without any changes in energy pricing?

I never said that it was "consumers' fault." I said that changing behavior does not come easily and requires incentives - the push factor of high energy prices and the pull factor of alternative technologies. The pull factor alone will not do it with the current gas and energy prices. Needless to say that the push factor alone will not do it either.

Wojtek