[lbo-talk] Hijacking (was: Patrick Bond on climatechangestrategy)

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Apr 25 18:51:37 PDT 2007

Wojtek asks:

> Are you saying that people will switch from
> their SUVs and ex-urban McMansions to public transit
> and higher density dwelling without any changes in
> energy pricing?

If you think that's the only possible way to stop heating up the planet, then that might be a useful question to ask. I don't happen to believe that, so I don't really think your question is worth answering.

Let me put it this way: if SUVs had a better energy use profile than a Prius, would you still be asking this question? I think you would. Because it seems to me that you just find those people who have SUVs and live in McMansions contemptable, even though they really have very little to do with the energy profile of their purchase.

If you're going to go get pushy on people, I'd prefer if you started with the handful of companies that make diesel engines for trucks and the even smaller group of companies who make the engines for ocean-going commercial marine vessels.

Heck, why not start with pushing for biofuels for commercial aircraft? Why does it have to be "You people have to get rid of your SUVs and your big houses!" ...?

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/07/04/25/100bus_partners001.cfm

EVERETT - In announcing its order for 15 of Boeing Co.'s fuel-efficient 787 jets, Virgin Atlantic also said Tuesday it would team with the planemaker to develop a bio-fuel for commercial aircraft.

[ ... ]

/jordan