[lbo-talk] a million seculars rally in Istanbul

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 05:56:32 PDT 2007

On 4/29/07, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Apparently, Islamism is not such a hot commodity in
> > the middle East, as some may think.
>
> Istanbul is hardly indicative of the Middle East, if it can even be
> called a part of it. The majority of the city lies in Europe, and it
> was the second most important city in the Christian world for over a
> millenium.

"According to 2002 estimates, 27 percent of Turkey's urban population resides in gecekondus [squatter settlements]. This figure is estimated at over 50 percent in metropolitan areas such as the capital city of Ankara, Istanbul, and Izmir. . . . The rather high income disparity among the regions has fueled migration from eastern to western provinces. Historically, three metropolises -- Istanbul, Ankara, and Izmir -- have attracted the migrant populations. . . . . Not surprisingly, all inequality measures rank Istanbul first and Adana second in terms of income inequality" (Meltem Dayioglu and Cem Baslevent, "A Regional and Provincial Income Inequality Analysis for Turkey in the Presence of Imputed Rents," Economic Research Forum 11th Annual Conference, 14th-16th December 2004, <http://www.erf.org.eg/11conf_Lebanon/Labor/Dayioglu_&_Baslevent.pdf>).

Were many from the poorer majority of Istanbul found at the rally? Doubtful, based on reports which show the protesters to be mostly secular elitists:

When hundreds of thousands of protesters filled the streets of

Istanbul on Sunday, it may have looked like a protest of

government policy.

It was not.

Behind the slogans and signs of marchers in Istanbul on

Sunday and in Ankara two weeks ago was something much

more basic: a fear of the lifestyles of their more religious compatriots.

Some concerns were snobbish: religious Turks were uneducated

and poor, their pesky prayer rugs got underfoot in hospital halls.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"These people are from poor areas; they just don't know what

the government stands for," said Aysel Tuikman, 39, a civil servant

wearing a skirt, a sweater, beige pumps and pearls. "They're only

being manipulated. We are here for their good also."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It is an emotional reaction to a relatively new layering of society

that began 20 years ago but has accelerated recently. A massive

migration from rural areas to Turkey's cities and a large-scale

economic boom have drawn an entirely new class of religious

Turks from the country's heartland into the life of its secular cities.

The class is represented by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan,

who is challenging the secular elite, forcing a presidential candidate

upon them whom they find completely distasteful.

On Friday, the military gave him a warning. It has ousted four elected

governments since 1960, and seemed to be considering whether to

make Mr. Erdogan's the fifth. On Sunday, Mr. Erdogan gave a warning

of his own: He will continue to push his candidate, an action that will

probably lead to early national elections.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The message of secularist protesters, said Metin Heper,

a professor at Bilkent University in Ankara, was this: "We are

uncomfortable with the lifestyles of these people."

"They fear these people, but these fears are groundless," he said.

"Gradually, they will see that these people are no different from themselves."

Prejudices among secular Turks have their roots in Turkey's education

system, Mr. Heper said. "Education here teaches that if you are a practicing

Muslim, you are an ignorant person who will bring the country back

to the Middle Ages," he said.

M. Hakan Yavuz, the author of "Islamic Political Identity in Turkey," describes

being shocked at the rigidity in the political science department at Ankara

University, where he got his undergraduate degree, compared with the village

where he grew up, where interpretations of the teachings of a thinker of

Sufism, a mystic branch of Sunni Islam, were welcomed everywhere.

"It was not a dialogue, but rather a carefully structured program of

indoctrination," Mr. Yavuz writes in the preface of his book, published by

Oxford University Press in 2003, referring to his education at Ankara.

(Sabrina Tavernise, "In Turkey, Fear and Discomfort About Religious

Lifestyle," 30 April 2007, <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/30/world/europe/30turkey.html>)

This rally is not small, nor was the one before it, but neither were the Venezuelan opposition rallies against the Hugo Chavez government in Venezuela*, the rallies for the so-called "Cedar Revolution" in Lebanon, and others like them. Upper classes and strata in the South can mobilize pretty impressive numbers for their causes, too.

The foreign and domestic policies of the AKP, however, are unlike those of Chavez and his comrades, Hizballah and its allies, etc. They might be usefully compared to those of the PT of Brazil, except it is not a traditional social democratic party rooted in organized labor like the PT either.

What is at stake in Turkey now is therefore not populism vs. liberalism (except the AKP's constituency are less elite than the militarist establishment's), pro-imperialism vs. anti-imperialism (except that the AKP is more oriented toward the EU and the military is more tied to the USA), but democracy vs. the "deep state" (the military and other security establishment).

Secondarily, it is also about two different interpretations of what secular modernity ought to be. As I said, the AKP's Turkish government is itself far more secularist than the USG. (People wearing hijab, for instance, are not excluded from schools and so on in the USA.) Ahmet T. Kuru puts it this way in "Reinterpretation of Secularism in Turkey: The Case of the Justice and Development Party" (The Emergence of a New Turkey: Islam, Democracy, and the AK Parti, ed. M. Hakan Yavuz, Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 2006, <http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~akuru/EMERGENCE.doc>):

the JDP [the Justice and Development Party, the AKP] is

not anti-secular; rather, it defends a distinct

interpretation of secularism that differs from that of the

Kemalist establishment. The debate between the

establishment and the JDP is not simply a conflict between

secularism and Islamism, but rather a discussion about

the true meaning and practice of secularism itself.

Apart from marginal groups, there is an overall consensus

on secularism in Turkey. The real debate occurs between

the supporters of different interpretations of secularism.

* "Un millón cuatrocientas mil personas en la 'Avalancha Tricolor'": <http://www.globovision.com/news.php?nid=43696>.

On 4/29/07, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:
> Like most Western media accounts, the ones posted to this list
> present, or at least highlight, only half the story seen in the
> Turkish media:
>
> --------------------------
> More than one million rally in Turkey for secularism, democracy

> "Turkey is secular and will remain secular," "Neither Sharia, nor coup
> d'etat, democratic Turkey," they chanted.

> --------------------------
>
> http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=173637
>
> Meanwhile, the Reuters article practically claims that these
> protesters are agitating for a coup d'état:
>
> > The Istanbul protesters said they backed the army, long viewed here
> > as the ultimate guardian of the secular republic.
>
> So who's telling the truth? I suspect it's the Turkish media, but not
> being in Istanbul, can't say for sure.
>
> Personally, I would far prefer a First Lady with a headscarf to
> military rule. My neighborhood contains plenty of women in
> headscarves, most of whom seem nice enough, and to quote Thomas
> Jefferson, their choice of headgear "neither breaks my leg, nor picks
> my pocket," while a dictatorship overseen by bourgeois generals,
> however brief, very well might.

It's clear that the protesters support the military against the AKP, if not a bloody coup against it, and the protesters won't object to a soft coup like the one in 1997:

Following the "soft" military coup d'etat in February 28, 1997,

the WP-TPP coalition collapsed, and the WP was dissolved

by the Turkish Constitutional Court. The February 28 process

was very destructive for Islamic education and practicing

Muslims in Turkey. In that period, the headscarf ban in

universities was strictly enforced, the Imam-Hatip secondary

schools were closed, and teaching the Qur'an to children

under age twelve became illegal. The military expelled allegedly

Islamist and avowedly pious officers. In addition, pro-Islamic

corporations and financial institutions faced official discrimination.21

These oppressions ignited a transformation in pro-Islamic groups

in terms of their views of Turkey's EU membership, democracy,

and secularism.22 The JDP became a leading actor in this

transformation as explained in the following section.

Changing Muslim Perspectives toward Secularism

Following the February 28 coup, pro-Islamic groups recognized

that religious freedoms should be their main priority. Pro-Islamic

politicians, movements, and intellectuals have tended to embrace

democracy and (passive) secularism to be protected from the

oppression of the (assertive) secularist state. This resulted in a

convergence between the above-mentioned three groups:

ascetics [i.e., political quietists] and political Islamists decided

to support a liberal version of secularism -- what I call passive secularism.

Ali Bulaç, an influential Islamist thinker, declared that "political"

Islamism was dead. He called for a new "civil" Islamism, which

did not contradict secularism as a political regime.23 Along the

same line, the influential Gülen movement abandoned its indifference

and participated in the debate on secularism. The movement initiated

by Fethullah Gülen has focused on education and opened more than

400 schools in about 50 different countries, in addition to its international

media network. This movement avoided political issues, including

secularism, following Nursi's teaching.24 Yet in the late 1990s, the

Journalists and Writers' Foundation affiliated with the Gülen movement

began to organize the Abant workshops to head off socio-political

polarization and to search for a new social consensus in Turkey.

The annual workshops have included about fifty Turkish intellectuals

from sharply different ideological backgrounds. The first workshop in

1998 was devoted to Islam and secularism. Its press declaration

emphasized that God's ontological sovereignty is compatible with

the political sovereignty of the people. The second workshop also

examined the relationships among state, society, and religion.25

The young generation of the National Outlook movement also

transformed their ideological framework. Several of them have

participated in the Abant Workshops to discuss issues such as

secularism. In 2000, three leaders of the young generation --

Erdoğan, Arınç, and Abdullah Gül -- emphasized their pro-democratic

and pro-secular ideas.26 Following the closure of their party, the

WP's parliamentarians founded the Virtue Party (VP). Despite the

VP's pro-EU and democratic discourse,27 the Constitutional Court

dissolved it in 2001, arguing that the VP defended the freedom to

wear the headscarf, and was therefore anti-secular. That deepened

the disagreement between the elders of the National Outlook

movement led by Erbakan, and the young generation led by

Erdoğan. The former founded the Felicity Party (FP), whereas

the latter established the JDP. The FP made a return to the anti-EU

discourse whereas the JDP took a step further to defend Turkey's

membership to the EU, as well as supporting democracy and secularism.

In the elections of November 3, 2002, the FP was marginalized with

2.5 percent of the national votes while the JDP became the leading

party with 34 percent of the votes. (Ahmet T. Kuru, <http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~akuru/EMERGENCE.doc>) -- Yoshie