[lbo-talk] Karl Kautsky on Christianity

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 1 21:29:16 PDT 2007

Can anyone here give me their opinion of Kautsky's "Foundations of Christianity"? I found a copy in the attic of a house a friend of mine just bought and wondered if it was worth the time to read? I read the "Road to Power", which was excellent, but nearly 500 pages on Jesus may be a bit much, especially from a 100 year old book. I'm never one to turn down an opportunity to read something truly extraordinary but I've read tomes of religious stuff and feel I know the JC myth backward and forward. Somehow this title never made it past my "should read" list. I'm not even sure if Kautsky believes in a historic JC or a mythic one. I guess I don't want to read it most of the way through and then discover Kausty's wedded to the idea of a historic Christ. That would be very disappointing. I'd like to know up front his feeling in this matter and then I'll decide if I proceed to read or not.

John Thornton