[lbo-talk] Karl Kautsky on Christianity

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Aug 1 22:54:55 PDT 2007

John Thornton wrote:

>Can anyone here give me their opinion of Kautsky's "Foundations of
>Christianity"?

I read Kautsky's book and I thought it was excellent. Very level headed and very interesting.

He mostly focuses on explaining how late Roman culture helps explain a lot of early Xtianity -- which turns out to be more of a reaction to that culture than something in itself.

For example, he explains how the asceticism was less a religious feature than a reaction to the extreme overindulgence (vomitariums, colliseum blood baths) of the late empire. By placing it in a historical setting (from a Marxist perspective) it helps you understand a lot of stuff about it that you might otherwise think was "religious."

Clearly written. Easy to read.

It's a mistake to assume that an old book is not necessarily a good book.

The notion that something newer is better is a modern prejudice, not in any way a fact.

Joanna