[lbo-talk] cruise update: the Ralph angle

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Aug 4 10:57:18 PDT 2007

Man, is Ralph Nader odd up close. His funereal demeanor almost never lifts except when he's laughing at his own occasional jokes. The laughter of children leaves him uncharmed. He had some factotum running around announcing when he'd be holding audiences - he'd come to tables in the bar at 10:30 and disclose that Ralph would be speaking in the library in 10 minutes - when almost everyone was interested in chatting and having a nightcap. He refused to come to a speakers' dinner last night because the restaurant would be too loud to have a "substantive" exchange - by which I suppose he meant listen to Ralph hold forth, because we were all having quite pleasant and intelligent conversations. Instead he stayed on the ship. One of the people who'd joined him for a bit coughed, and Ralph, alarmed, asked if she had a cold. She said she had a little one, so Ralph demanded she re-seat herself on the other side of the table and never looked up for the rest of the time she was there. This confirms my suspicion that his trade obsession really is at base an anxiety about contamination by foreign pathogens. He's a very smart guy, and has done some admirable things in his life, but is really kind of a dick.

Doug