[lbo-talk] more cruise

Tim Francis-Wright tim at francis-wright.com
Sun Aug 5 01:50:12 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Aug 4, 2007, at 3:25 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:
>> I think Rocky Anderson is a great guy based on what I've read
>> (and I'm glad to hear he's a great guy in person) and I'm
>> perfectly willing to agree the Mormon church is full of
>> weirdness. But AFAIU, this last bit is a cheap shot that is
>> technically true but substantially false. It's technically true
>> insofar as the Mormon church has never officially repudiated any
>> doctrine (including plural marriage). What they do instead is to
>> have the president of the Church issue a personal opinion, play
>> it up, and eventually elevate this mere opinion over doctrines in
>> their holy books.
> I asked him about this - he said the race doctrine is part of the
> doctrine that people who grow up in the church absorb. It's too ugly
> to be public about, but it's the circulating common sense of Mormons.

Indeed, the race doctrine is part of the Book of Mormon--it's wrapped up LDS teachings about the war in heaven between the good and evil spirit-babies, and in the Book of Mormon telling of why "Lamanites" (American Indians) have dark skin because they rejected Christ (and why they will not become white until they do).

If it were not for Scientology, Mormonism might be the most ludicrous American-invented religion. (God has a wife? He lives on the planet Kolob? You get to be God of your own planet someday?) But Scientology wins because of the inclusion of hydrogen bombs in its creation story.

--tim francis-wright