[lbo-talk] AllHipHop.com interviews Bad Brains about being seminal black punk band in mostly-white scene

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Sun Aug 5 15:39:35 PDT 2007

Actually, Black Flag's contribution was "White Minority". "Guilty of Being White" was Minor Threat's contribution. Ian (MacKaye)says that the song wasn't intended as a global commentary, but came out of his experiences in Wilson High School. Take that for what you will. His politics certainly have improved. If one is interested in the D.C. scene, I recommend Dance of Days..... On a side note, one of the things that most annoyed me about the film American Hardcore (and there were many annoying things) was the implication that Bad Brains only started playing reggae at the tail end of the so-called Hardcore era (which is a bit of a misnomer in itself... just look at the DC scene), when Bad Brains had been playing reggae from the start (which was always kinda bad from my perspective). The Bad Brains interview is as ignorant in this regard, ignoring that UK Punk had always had a strong reggae streak in it (aka the Clash, Ruts, Slits, etc.) even before Bad Brains......

robert wood