[lbo-talk] AllHipHop.com interviews Bad Brains about being seminal black punk band in mostly-white scene

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 16:34:27 PDT 2007

On 8/5/07, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> So it wasn't just Bad Brains.

Oh, far from it. But the point is that when other bands sang reactionary lyrics, they were called on it; it wasn't ignored as Daryl Jennifer suggests. The type of punk who would condemn Bad Brains for homophobia wouldn't go home and put a Meatmen record on.

Robert Wood wrote:

> "Guilty of Being White" was Minor Threat's contribution. Ian (MacKaye)says that the
song wasn't intended as a global commentary, but came out of his experiences in Wilson High School. Take that for what you will.

Well, I went to high school in DC too (actually just outside it, but in a suburb with similar demographics), so I can kinda see what was going on in his head when he wrote it, although obviously the way he expressed it was out of order. If there was to be a Minor Threat reunion, I doubt that one would feature on the set list.