[lbo-talk] AllHipHop.com interviews Bad Brains about being seminal black punk band in mostly-white scene

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 5 16:49:01 PDT 2007

Wendy,

Depends on what you mean by the Bad Brains being "called on it." I mentioned a fight between Bad Brains and some Austin hardcore bands, and MDC speaking not too fondly of them in interviews well after that in zines.

I know throughout the whole 80s MRR was there taking folks to task for this sort of stuff and if I recallc orrectly Bad Brains didn't get a free pass. Tim Yohannon would ask bands like Iron Cross why they were named what they were, even though Iron Cross (the DC band) had an African-American member. I remember reading about the Bad Brains song "Don't Blow No Bubbles" and how it was homophobic, in Thrasher. Obviously Jenifer in the interview is himself is aware of the controversial comments they've made (or that HR has made), so at least a few people somewhere must have mentioned it to him, and in fact I'm pretty sure a lot of people have.

-B.

Wendy Lyon wrote:

"Oh, far from it. But the point is that when other bands sang reactionary lyrics, they were called on it; it wasn't ignored as Daryl Jennifer suggests. The type of punk who would condemn Bad Brains for homophobia wouldn't go home and put a Meatmen record on."

B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

"So it wasn't just Bad Brains."