[lbo-talk] AllHipHop.com interviews Bad Brains about being seminal black punk band in mostly-white scene

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Tue Aug 7 17:21:54 PDT 2007

On Mon, August 6, 2007 1:22 pm, Chris Doss wrote:

> Bollocks is one of my favorite albums, but no way is
> it lefty. I don't think these teenage kids and their Svengali manager were
> thinking on that level.

Artists very rarely think in terms of public statements or critical positions per se. They think through their creative work, and have to be judged on that basis. "Never Mind the Bollocks" was a huge step forwards, one of the key musical milestones on the way to hip hop, and almost every song is a classic in some way. Yes, there's cheap sexism/gay-bashing at work in some of the lyrics, but the work as a whole crackles with utopian multinational energy.

> That said, Mr. Computer Games guy -- is it possible at
> all to play with the Eldar effectively in the computer game version of
> Warhammer 40,000? I mean, they suck.

Hmm, I've never played Warhammer. I'm still trying to save up for a PS Triple.

-- DRR