[lbo-talk] cruise update: the Ralph angle

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Aug 6 09:41:09 PDT 2007

Robert Wrubel wrote:

> I've been thinking the same thing. While anarchist
> activists are young and disaffected, anarchist
> "thinkers" come from the intellectual and professional
> classes. In this sense, anarchism is a kind of elite
> avocation, like buddhism, or belief in Platonic forms
> -- individual self-expression, not a social movement.

Not really. In fact, this doesn't reflect that anarchism I know, where most of the "thinking" is being done by grassroots, working class anarchists and is published in a variety of zines, magazines and websites.

What is striking about anarchism is that it isn't elitist and that it draws very little from anarchists in the academy. Personally, I'd like to see more anarchists in the academy, but I appreciate the horizontal nature of contemporary anarchist thinking.

Chuck