[lbo-talk] cruise update: the Ralph angle

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 18:20:53 PDT 2007

On 8/4/07, Max B. Sawicky <sawicky at verizon.net> wrote:
> There is complex and there is borderline bizarre.
>
> The problem is that his personality affects his leadership practices.
> He is brilliant and a compelling speaker, but as a politician he stinks.
> By politician I mean being able to manage a centralized operation
> without overwhelming any democratic ambiance, establishing good
> relations with collaborators, inspiring confidence in followers, etc.
>
> How could it be more obvious? He left behind some invaluable
> public interest organizations, but that was years ago. As far as
> political organization goes, after years of Clintonism and Bushism,
> what has he built?

I agree, but the same has to be said about everyone and everything else to the Left of the Democratic Party.

Perhaps Americans are not made for mass political organizations, though they are very good at building lots and lots of small NGOs. It may be time to think what can be made of this apparent national character, rather than trying to change it into something that it is not. -- Yoshie