[lbo-talk] AllHipHop.com interviews Bad Brains about

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Aug 6 19:11:53 PDT 2007

On Aug 6, 2007, at 4:28 PM, Angelus Novus wrote:

> The origin of the term is chronological, but now it is
> a primarily aesthetic designation. Post-punk = Joy
> Divison, Gang of Four, Wire, The Pop Group, Public
> Image Limited.

As I recall, they all seemed to swim in the same ocean - it's just that the bands you list were in the artier wing. Talking Heads, which was very art school from the beginning, played CBGBs at the same time The Ramones did. I saw both of them weeks apart in 1976. I remember playing Wire and the Sex Pistols the same nights, driving all the bluegrass types in Charlottesville out of the room. Pink Flag was 1977, same year as Never Mind the Bollocks, no?

Doug