[lbo-talk] Nader, et al

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 7 06:05:13 PDT 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 12:25 AM, Michael Smith wrote:

> I feel sure I must not be taking your point -- are we talking past
> each other?

I think the Dems suck, are abject tools of capital - and the whole notion of their "spinelessness" arises from the fact that they are tools of capital who have occasionally to sound (and even act) like they're not. But they're not identical to the Republicans. In the 50s and 60s, both parties had liberal, moderate, and conservative wings. Since then, much of the Dems conservative wing became Republican, and the Republican party moved far to the right, becoming one of the most right-wing mainstream parties in the world. The Dems have accommodated that shift to some degree, but they're just not identical. Take a look at any of the liberal and conservative ratings systems (ADA, ACU) for some sample votes. Labor law, social spending, enviro protection civil rights, treatment of sexual minorities - quite different.

Even on this wiretapping bill, Dems voted overwhelmingly against.