[lbo-talk] Samuel Bowles's turn?

Auguste Blanqui blanquist at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 10:45:19 PDT 2007

There's an article in today's Science Times by Nicholas Wade (the Times's leading promoter of race-biology-gene stuff) pumping up what sounds like a really silly book on the transition to capitalism/industrialization. It's a kitchen-sink mix: uncritical Malthusianism, culture-of-poverty theory, genetic transmission of cultural ideas, and what looks like sandbox application of evolutionary theory. Quote: "Dr. Clark says the middle-class values needed for productivity could have been transmitted either culturally or genetically. But in some passages, he seems to lean toward evolution as the explanation. "Through the long agrarian passage leading up to the Industrial Revolution, man was becoming biologically more adapted to the modern economic world," he writes. And, "The triumph of capitalism in the modern world thus may lie as much in our genes as in ideology or rationality."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/science/07indu.html?ref=science&pagewanted=print

I had to blink a couple times when I saw Samuel Bowles's name in the article praising the book. It's indeed the same Samuel Bowles. I don't know much about what he did after the height of URPE. Does anyone know? Did his views/assumptions change?