[lbo-talk] Cross in memory of Stalin repression victims placed in Moscow

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 12:20:34 PDT 2007

> Speaking of Stalin, we finally got to see the Lenin
> Statue in
> Seattle. Set in the heart of the hipster Fremont
> neighborhood, you
> can almost see the air quotes around it. But it's
> pretty cool.
> According to the plaque, it's the only known statue
> of VI that shows
> him surrounded by guns and flames rather than
> holding a book or some
> such.

He's usually depicted pointing or gazing off into the Shining Communist Future or somesuch.

I read an article a few years ago on the really big Soviet sculptor who specialized in Lenins, including this one three blocks from my apartment:http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/poolman99/worldtour-sep06/1158641940/dsc00562.jpg/tpod.html . He also did Stalin's death mask. Anyway, he said he did his first Lenin at the age of about 8, when Lenin died. He said he remembered that everybody was really sad, so he went down to the river and made a little Lenin out of clay.

Speaking of little people, you can buy Heinrich Himmler dolls at a store across from Gorky Park. You can dress him up in his uniform, or play SS-Reichsfuehrer and Aryan Superwoman if you also have Barbie.

PS. Yoshie, the Iran Air office I mentioned a while ago is immediatetely to Lenin's left there, just out of view. :)

____________________________________________________________________________________ Shape Yahoo! in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today! http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7