[lbo-talk] AllHipHop.com interviews Bad Brains about being seminal black punk band in mostly-white scene

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 15:29:39 PDT 2007

DRR wrote:

>"Bodies" isn't about abortion, it's a somewhat sexist rant about how punk
>is the illegitimate child of flower-power.

I dunno. The song says "She was a girl from Birmingham, She just had an abortion, She was a case of insanity " lines that apparently refer to a real person named Pauline who was part of the London scene and of whom John Lydon said ""The fetus thing is what got me. She'd tell me about getting pregnant by the male nurses at the asylum or whatever."

A breakdown of the song in Bad Subjects calls it "the most important song to deal with abortion, a major political issue of the 1970s when it was written" and shows how it's not as simple as pro or anti.

http://bad.eserver.org/issues/2001/55/mosher.html