[lbo-talk] third parties (was: Nader, et al)

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Tue Aug 7 17:13:13 PDT 2007

On Tue, August 7, 2007 9:45 am, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> As I see it, there are only three answers to that question: (i) because
> there are structural obstacles that prevent the formation of political
> parties, (ii) because most US-sers are inherently stupid or brainwashed
> and incapable of acting in their own interest and (iii) it is happening,
> but in the form that does not fit the third-party build up model. Since
> (i) and (ii) are demonstrably false

Nonsense. The US political system is a shambling, decaying zombie from the 18th century. First-past-the-post, gerrymandered elections instead of proportional representation, a ghastly electoral college where winners of the popular vote can lose (just happened in 2000), money-dominated politics which raffles off political seats for $3 billion each election cycle, a Senate where tiny states (Wyoming) and giant states (California) get the same two votes - all flagrant violations of the basic democratic principle of one-person-one-vote. US political institutions are fundamentally broken.

This is not to counsel despair or submission. Just the opposite. The US Empire is falling apart and the forces of resistance are battling back worldwide. But those of us based in the US have to be honest about the Empire and its legacy - its institutions as well as the arrogance and xenophobia it has implanted in ordinary citizens. The choice between supporting/not supporting the Dems is a false choice. We have to resist the Empire and accelerate its demise, for the sake of a truly democratic America none of us may live to see.

-- DRR