[lbo-talk] climate & chaos

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 9 11:00:40 PDT 2007

>We had transit chaos in NYC today after an intense overnight
>rainstorm dumped 2 inches of rain in an hour. Subways were flooded;
>... You've got to wonder if this was a climate change event, and
>there's lots more of this to come.
>
>Doug

This was a strange, disturbing event. I was amazed to see NYC's rainstorm top ABC's World News last night. For all its woes in recent decades the NYC subway has almost always avoided extreme flooding.

Re climate change, I would have to assume that serious planning must be taking place to figure out how to protect NYC from inundation as the sea level rises. Could they do this by levees, or is that not feasible? Isn't NYC at particular risk of flood damage because so much of its infrastructure is deep underground?

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Tease your brain--play Clink! Win cool prizes! http://club.live.com/clink.aspx?icid=clink_hotmailtextlink2