[lbo-talk] climate & chaos

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 9 11:20:40 PDT 2007

On Aug 9, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Carl Remick wrote:

> This was a strange, disturbing event. I was amazed to see NYC's
> rainstorm
> top ABC's World News last night. For all its woes in recent
> decades the NYC
> subway has almost always avoided extreme flooding.

Even weirder: there was a tornado in Brooklyn that did some serious damage.

> Re climate change, I would have to assume that serious planning
> must be
> taking place to figure out how to protect NYC from inundation as
> the sea
> level rises. Could they do this by levees, or is that not
> feasible? Isn't
> NYC at particular risk of flood damage because so much of its
> infrastructure
> is deep underground?

That, and we're surrounded by water. All coastal areas are going to have to build levees. "Adaptation" is the buzzword in the climate change world, along with "mitigation." Even if we were to stop emitting greenhouse gases tomorrow, temps would continue to rise for decades. And of course we're not going to do that.

Doug