[lbo-talk] LA Times 8/7/07: Behind enemy lines

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 9 11:36:03 PDT 2007

>One of the problems with American Leftists is that they don't give
>working people credit for being more radical. People can handle your ideas.
>
>Chuck

That's exactly my point. They can handle them, but not if they're always presented in a way that doesn't speak to their experience.

You often talk about what the "american people" are thinking but when someone presents a poll that shows they're thinking otherwise, and less than radically, you dismiss it. I agree that people are more radical than they know, but right now that radicalism is potential and not realized. I just disagree that stridency, and to a lot of people hearing that there is no difference between the parties is strident, is always that effective. Sometimes yes, but I think things like winning people over with their own arguments has its strengths too.

I also agree that there is a need for immoderation if anything is ever going to change. The thing is it takes all kind of people to make a movement. Facile dismissals of the shortcomings of "American Leftists" obscures that complexity.