[lbo-talk] LA Times 8/7/07: Behind enemy lines

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Aug 9 13:12:37 PDT 2007

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> No I'm not and no I don't. I'm speaking from experience of being
> tuned out when I say things people aren't interested in
> hearing. Assuming I'm talking abot dumbing down and sugarcoating is
> another one of your stereotypes of the "American Left". I'm talking
> about communicating effectively. I'm talking about stuff like what
> Doug and Max Sawicky, just to name two that come quickly to mind, do.

Doug and Max talk to white progressives. They are very good at talking to those kinds of people.

I'm talking here about discussing radical ideas with a broader range of people, including conservatives. I do this all the time.

You are going to get much more hostility towards radical ideas if you are talking to middle class, college-educated porgressives and liberals. These are the people with a stake in the system and who have been heavily indoctrinated into supporting the system, even if they have problems with it.

Just look at the response I get from progressives on this list when I say something radical. I get more hostility from this list for my anarchist ideas than anywhere else, save when I'm talking to people who watch Fox News all the time.

Chuck