[lbo-talk] what people talk about while avoiding work

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Aug 9 20:19:32 PDT 2007

On 9 Aug, 2007, at 23:06 PM, B. wrote:

> Brining up the idea of national healthcare at a recent
> family reunion started sparks flying. I didn't bring
> it up, but I didn't back down when quite a few folks
> assumed this populist posturing of keepin' the gubment
> out of affairs. It was debated to an inconclusive
> standstill and it kind of left everyone feeling empty
> and awkward.

My wife and I always make it a point to stir up the extended family during gatherings with various anti-India/pro-Pakistan/pro-Kashmir/ what-have-you rants. There is a lot of yelling and screaming, gesturing, drinking, eating... haven't won a single argument, of course, but nobody is ever left feeling empty or awkward ;-).

A few weeks ago, at a company "social hour", got into a huge argument with two women about affirmative action, etc (they were against it). So far, no fallout!

But you are right about the motivation behind the general tendency (clearly missing in me) of avoiding politics, etc.

--ravi