[lbo-talk] what people talk about while avoiding work

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 20:06:57 PDT 2007

That's like what everyone's grandma says, "Don't bring up religion and politics in mixed company." Bringing up divisive issues like the war in Iraq, etc., is a sure way to get people to hate you. But.. they're not divisive, right? Everyone hates the Iraq War, Bush, etc., Well, I guess, but they hate them for different reasons. Some people hate the Iraq War now for right-wing reasons, and Bush for being too soft and liberal, the illegals' best friend and givin' money to Africa -- not because he's a vicious warmongering imperialist.

Brining up the idea of national healthcare at a recent family reunion started sparks flying. I didn't bring it up, but I didn't back down when quite a few folks assumed this populist posturing of keepin' the gubment out of affairs. It was debated to an inconclusive standstill and it kind of left everyone feeling empty and awkward.

Now, the Simpsons movie, that's more pleasant, even if one disagrees how good it is -- and Paris, well, everyone agrees she's this overrated "Why is she famous?"-type person that everyone can express disgust about. Obama and stuff, you pick more carefully who you have those convos with, esp. in a place where you can get fired and have your income taken from you.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"The most heated conversations around the watercooler these days involve Paris Hilton, the iPhone and the Sopranos finale. At least that is what human resource executives said in a July survey conducted by global outplacement consultancy Challenger, Gray & Christmas, Inc."