[lbo-talk] Crime in Philly

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 13:00:51 PDT 2007

Certainly, but don't you think most north philladephia residents have a more nuanced or conflicte view than that? The reality is that the violence is getting to extreme levels in the hood, but its staying among people who know each other and their neighbors now, so the professionals and hipsters moving back to the city via near west philly, northern liberties etc don't really deal with it much. If I personally had a button I could push to make every handgun in urban america dissapear I'd push it, and Nutter got a ton of the traditional black vote fatah lost because he said he'd have the police do that stop and frisk and fatah said he wouldn't.

Something I find myself dwelling on lately is how we as leftists have an approach to police and crime issues taken pretty verbatim from the struggles of the 60s/70s, but material social reality of those issues is a lot different today. We are kind of half out of step with the times when urban black community is regularly protesting inadequate police response to black homicide victim cases (as opposed to if heaven forbid a penn student gets caught in a crossfire or whatever) as protesting police brutality.