[lbo-talk] Bush: vacation champ

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 18:21:36 PDT 2007

I have to agree with this. As someone who's gone back to visit sporadically since moving out of the area in 1993, I'm consistently impressed by how much better it's getting. Downtown areas that used to be ghost towns after 5pm are now choc-a-bloc at night with people going to movies, restaurants, nightclubs, bars or just out for a wander.

I've also noticed that there seems to have been something of a reversal of the white flight which hit the city so hard in earlier decades. When I was a teenager, because of my involvement in the punk scene I had friends from all over the metropolitan area but I could count on one hand the number of them that had actually grown up in the city. Even when we got to be in our late teens and 20s and moved out of our family homes, we usually rented in places like College Park, Silver Spring or Arlington rather than DC itself. Nowadays everyone's living in Adams Morgan or Mount Pleasant or Shaw (the last of these being a part of town you'd only drive through if necessary, and always with the doors locked and windows up, when I was growing up). And I'm told that most of Capitol Hill is OK now too - that certainly wasn't always the case.

It really is a much nicer city than it used to be.

OTOH, N.Va. is turning into a redneck hole ...