[lbo-talk] Crime in Philly

Blackmail blackmail.is.my.life at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 19:00:39 PDT 2007

On 8/12/07, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I'd recommmend reading Christian Parenti's Lockown America. It's a
> great book on developments in policing and criminal justice in the
> U.S. since the '60s. Parenti knows what you're talking about when
> you say residents of high crime areas want more police presence and
> he doesn't disregard the danger and insecurity people have to live
> with. But he also shows how giving the police an inch results in
> their taking a mile in the direction of selective protecting and serving.

I love this book, but Parenti warns against function creep. The solution Nutter has proposed, combined with all the other privacy nonsense that's happening at the federal level, is really disconcerting. -- j t. ramsay music editor comcast interactive media 1500 market st., 18th floor west philadelphia, pa, 19102