[lbo-talk] Crime in Philly

bitch at pulpculture.org bitch at pulpculture.org
Mon Aug 13 04:43:52 PDT 2007

At 09:00 PM 8/12/2007, Blackmail wrote:
>On 8/12/07, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > I'd recommmend reading Christian Parenti's Lockown America. It's a
> > great book on developments in policing and criminal justice in the
> > U.S. since the '60s. Parenti knows what you're talking about when
> > you say residents of high crime areas want more police presence and
> > he doesn't disregard the danger and insecurity people have to live
> > with. But he also shows how giving the police an inch results in
> > their taking a mile in the direction of selective protecting and serving.
> >

>I love this book, but Parenti warns against function creep. The solution
>Nutter has proposed, combined with all the other privacy nonsense that's
>happening at the federal level, is really disconcerting.
>--

has anyone intervewed Eli Anderson? The guy's been living in and writing about Philly neighborhoods for years, and has done the most to ethnographically unpack the whole "respect" thing Jim mentions. If anyone had a handle on the problems in both a micro and macro way, it'd be him. By macro, I mean that the guy writes about the subculture by reference to the operations of capitalism and the subculture as a response to those conditions and racism.

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn, stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org (NSFW)