[lbo-talk] Class division as reflected by who prefers/is on MySpace vs. FaceBook

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 12:11:59 PDT 2007

[I have a page on both sites but lately have eminently preferred Facebook, myself. 1) MySpace, since Fox bought it especially, has gradually become spam hell, bacgkround movie ads make the place gaudy, slow, etc; 2) There seem to be a lot of, er, higher-brow type communities on Facebook, higher-caliber sorts of discussion forums, linked by profession, academic interest, etc.; 3) Facebook allows for way, way less self-exhibition than MySpace, though this is gradually changing; 4) Facebook is less a random sex hookup type thing than MySpace can be; i.e. not as many shady 50 year old men messaging 17 yr old gals w/ "Wow ur interesting, you seem rilly smart & cool, not like other girls ur age, lets be friendz"-type messages; 5) Facebook is opening its doors to more folks but still isn't as band-friendly as MySpace; many bands use a MySpace page as their band's default homepage, which does actually make sense - videos, mp3s, show rosters/announcements, etc. -B.]

Viewing American class divisions through Facebook and MySpace

Danah Boyd June 24, 2007

Citation: boyd, danah. 2007. "Viewing American class divisions through Facebook and MySpace ." Apophenia Blog Essay. June 24 .

http://www.danah.org/papers/essays/ClassDivisions.html

[...]

The goodie two shoes, jocks, athletes, or other "good" kids are now going to Facebook. These kids tend to come from families who emphasize education and going to college. They are part of what we'd call hegemonic society. They are primarily white, but not exclusively. They are in honors classes, looking forward to the prom, and live in a world dictated by after school activities.

MySpace is still home for Latino/Hispanic teens, immigrant teens, "burnouts," "alternative kids," "art fags," punks, emos, goths, gangstas, queer kids, and other kids who didn't play into the dominant high school popularity paradigm. These are kids whose parents didn't go to college, who are expected to get a job when they finish high school. These are the teens who plan to go into the military immediately after schools. Teens who are really into music or in a band are also on MySpace. MySpace has most of the kids who are socially ostracized at school because they are geeks, freaks, or queers.

[...]

I have been reticent about writing about this dynamic even though I've been tracking it for a good six months now. I don't have the language for what I'm seeing and I'm concerned about how it's going to be interpreted. I can just see the logic: if society's "good" kids are going to Facebook and the "bad" kids are going to MySpace, clearly MySpace is the devil, right? ::shudder:: It's so not that easy. Given a lack of language for talking about this, my choice of "hegemonic" and "subaltern" was intended to at least insinuate a different way of looking at this split.

[...]

http://www.danah.org/papers/essays/ClassDivisions.html