[lbo-talk] green fakers

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 14 01:03:43 PDT 2007

> What is surprising is the way celebrities react to such charges:
> sometimes by ignoring them outright, sometimes by spouting lame
> self-justifications, but rarely, if ever, by acknowledging the
> disconnect and vowing to lead a humbler, cleaner, more sustainable
> existence.

I suspect they're avoiding the wealth issue. If you had sufficient privilege, wouldn't you get rid of the stressful obstacles and embarrassments which plague the less powerful?

If you're only moderately privileged by western standards, you might have a car, a computer or two, etc. Significant environmental footprints, as I understand. Many people in the world don't even have phones. Why don't these moderately privileged people answer to the very poor?

I also think they should emphasize the need for society-wide changes, rather than token personal ones which are drops in the lake. We could easily develop social forms of transportation far more efficient and pleasant than these individualized deathboxes we ride, I expect. Less costly, less aggravating.

Tayssir