[lbo-talk] Left alternative to The Economist? An

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 18:30:40 PDT 2007

I know Doug will disagree with me, but I honestly like reading the economist alot. I think it has the best detail reporting on overseas news in the english language. And the open, stated bias of it is helpful; no futzing around with illusions of objectivity like in a daily newspaper, they have an ideology and a bias and are real clear about it. In fact, I used to say that my own opinions are simply the opposite of the opinions of the economist magazine, on economics and imperialism issues at least.

I wish I could break my habit of reading the nyt every day, and read the wsj instead. I think if I just knew a little bit more about what the hell finance is, I'd be able to deal with it.