[lbo-talk] Interview w/ S-Haters, old commie Brit punk band

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 19 21:33:13 PDT 2007

Carrol,

You need to tell this to Noam Chomsky, too, then, because that's from whom I got it. To wit:

"Concepts aside, actions in the real world all too often reinforce the maxim of Thucydides that 'The strong do as they can, while the weak suffer what they must' — which is not only indisputably unjust, but at the present stage of human civilisation, a literal threat to the survival of the species."

--Noam Chomsky, http://www.chomsky.info/articles/20060509.htm

And:

"Chomsky: The answer was given a long time ago by Thucydides (the Melian dialogue, in The Peloponnesian War, Book 5): The strong do as they can, and the weak suffer as they must."

http://www.chomsky.info/interviews/20060821.htm

There is a Shakespeare quote that is very similar, but it's dialog from one of Shakespeare's characters. "Timon of Athens," I think. That's also a rotating quote at the blog.

-B.

Carrol Cox wrote:

"On your blog you have a sidebar quoting 'Thucydides' as saying, 'The strong do what they can while the weak suffer what they must.' This is like quoting _Shakespeare_ (as opposed to that old windbag Polonius) as saying to thine own self etc. It's been awhile since I read Thucydides but he didn't say this, he quoted someone else (I think some Athenian diplomats) as saying it."