[lbo-talk] Interview w/ S-Haters, old commie Brit punk band

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 20 18:03:01 PDT 2007

"B." wrote:

> Carrol,
>
> You need to tell this to Noam Chomsky, too, then,
> because that's from whom I got it. To wit:

Read the second of your quotations (emphasis added): "Chomsky: The answer was given a long time ago by Thucydides (******the Melian dialogue*****, in The Peloponnesian War, Book 5)"

In general, quotations found on the Web tend to be stripped of context, as in the first passage you quote, but it is obvious from the second that Chomsky is aware that Thucydides is quoting. Of course, the provenance of Thucydides quotations is I believe often argued. Shorthand didn't exist, and it is highly probable that the famous funeral oration of Pericles must have been 'rewritten' by Thucydides, though most of its substance must have been Pericles.

But the debate on Marx & Justice has been rekindled over on the A-list, and let me note in this connection that Chomsky's secone claim makes the first unnecessary:

> "Concepts aside, actions in the real world all too
> often reinforce the maxim of Thucydides that 'The
> strong do as they can, while the weak suffer what they
> must' — which is not only indisputably unjust, but at
> the present stage of human civilisation, a literal
> threat to the survival of the species."

If X threatens our very survival "as a species," debate over whether or not X is just seems sort of redundant. And this threat is not itself threatened a bit by labelling it unjust; the problem is to acquire the strength to oppose those who now wield power -- otherwise we sound too much like King Lear: "I'll do such things, I know not what, that all the world shall tremble." (Quoted from memory without checking.) "The weak suffer as they must" is a mere tautology, without theoretical interest.

Carrol