[lbo-talk] "Yiddishkeit"???

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 13:35:22 PDT 2007

It would be ironic if Russians hated Jews in part because they were "Poles," something which the Poles would have passionately rejected. The old country, feh. On the other hand my Hungarian grandmother had a real attachment to her old country, but the Magyars weren't Slavs and had far less prejudice. (The Nazis had to actually overthrow the fascist Arrow Cross regime to enforce the deportation of the Hungarian Jews.) My understanding is that her own grandfather was the mayor of their little town, and it wasn't a shtetl, just a town with a majority Catholic population.