[lbo-talk] "Yiddishkeit"???

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 14:38:41 PDT 2007

In the Russian and Ukrainian nationalist narratives of history (e.g. Gogol) when the Poles ruled Ukraine in the 1700s they used Jewish intermediaries to extort money from the population. Actually AFAIK there is some historical basis for this belief in that the Polish lords used Jews in some unpleasant capacities because they knew that public ire would be displaced from targeting them into targeting the Jews. From their POV it was better to have an anti-Jewish pogrom than an anti-Polish rebellion. It would have been a very small proportion of the Jewish population engaged in such activities, but you know how such things fester in the popular imagination over time. The peasant has to hand his harvest over to the non-Christian and all that, he passes that down to his children and etc.

The most obvious example of this belief is in Taras Bulba (Gogol again), in which the Jews are the lackeys of the evil Polish overlords. It's in Dostoevsky too, I think.

For a convinced 18th- or 19th-century Orthodox Christian believer, at any rate, exceptions like the Judeophile Potemkin notwithstanding, Judaism and Catholicism were both Satanic and in league with each other.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when. http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222