[lbo-talk] "Yiddishkeit"???

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 16:49:19 PDT 2007

Depends on the spirit and meaning. One basis for pan-European Christian antisemitism is that better off Jews played the role of moneylenders for interest, practicing usury, nominally forbidden to medieval Christians, thus annoying the Christian peasants and small townspeople who had to pay what they considered to be immoral fees for use of money and occasionally lose their collateral. If someone said that "usury was a Jewish trait" and meant that, I wouldn't be ticked at all, although I'd thought it was poorly put. If he meant that Jews were "naturally" greedy and grasping, I'd think he was a bigot and and idiot.

Since I expressly said I don't think that Slavic antisemitism is due to nature, blood, race, genes, or anything but a highly mutable concatenation of contingent psycho-historical-sociological circumstances, what's your problem?

And yes, antisemitism, often vicious, was pan-European. It was the Germans, after all, who tried to exterminate us, and Spanish and English who expelled us, Christians of all national and cultural backgrounds who carried out horrible pogroms during the Crusades. The Venetians established the first ghetto. (Are you going to get om a high horse for the Christians?) Interestingly enough, not so much the Hungarians, why is an interesting question that I don't know the answer to.

But Slavic antisemitism was real, savage, specific and remains highly persistent, and it's not an accident, as the Vozdh (himself no mean antisemite) used to say, that the Nazis set up their camps in the East, not merely as a logistical convenience in the midst of a high concentration of Jews, but also because the Nazis could rely on more enthusiastic support and willful blindness from the local population.

That's due to contingent historical facts and not Nature, since I have to seem to keep repeating this literally meaningless mantra involving (what is as I have argued here for years is) an incoherent opposition, in an unsuccessful effort to avoid being labeled a bigot by an adoptive pan-Slavist.