[lbo-talk] The WaPo denounces the War on Drugs

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Aug 20 21:12:55 PDT 2007

[Excerpted by Sam Smith in his Undernews digest. He adds "In the nearly 40 years that the Review has written critically of federal drug policy, this is the first time we can recall the Post ever running anything close to this."]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/17/AR2007081701716.html

August 19th, 2007 Washington Post

The Lost War

We've Spent 36 Years and Billions of Dollars Fighting It, but the Drug Trade Keeps Growing

By Misha Glenny

<snip>

Thirty-six years and hundreds of billions of dollars after President

Richard M. Nixon launched the war on drugs, consumers worldwide are

taking more narcotics and criminals are making fatter profits than

ever before. The syndicates that control narcotics production and

distribution reap the profits from an annual turnover of $400

billion to $500 billion. And terrorist organizations such as the

Taliban are using this money to expand their operations and buy ever

more sophisticated weapons, threatening Western security.

In the past two years, the drug war has become the Taliban's most

effective recruiter in Afghanistan. Afghanistan's Muslim extremists

have reinvigorated themselves by supporting and taxing the countless

peasants who are dependent one way or another on the opium trade,

their only reliable source of income. The Taliban is becoming richer

and stronger by the day, especially in the east and south of the

country. The "War on Drugs" is defeating the "war on terror."

<snip>

The trade in illegal narcotics begets violence, poverty and tragedy.

And wherever I went around the world, gangsters, cops, victims,

academics and politicians delivered the same message: The war on

drugs is the underlying cause of the misery. Everywhere, that is,

except Washington, where a powerful bipartisan consensus has turned

the issue into a political third rail.

The problem starts with prohibition, the basis of the war on drugs.

The theory is that if you hurt the producers and consumers of drugs

badly enough, they'll stop doing what they're doing. But instead,

the trade goes underground, which means that the state's only

contact with it is through law enforcement, i.e. busting those

involved, whether producers, distributors or users. But so vast is

the demand for drugs in the United States, the European Union and

the Far East that nobody has anything approaching the ability to

police the trade.

Prohibition gives narcotics huge added value as a commodity. Once

traffickers get around the business risks -- getting busted or being

shot by competitors -- they stand to make vast profits. A

confidential strategy report prepared in 2005 for British Prime

Minister Tony Blair's cabinet and later leaked to the media offered

one of the most damning indictments of the efficacy of the drug war.

Law enforcement agencies seize less than 20 percent of the 700 tons

of cocaine and 550 tons of heroin produced annually. According to

the report, they would have to seize 60 to 80 percent to make the

industry unprofitable for the traffickers.

Supply is so plentiful that the price of a gram of heroin is

plummeting in Europe, especially in the United Kingdom. As for

cocaine, according to the UNODC, the street price of a gram in the

United States is now less than $70, compared with $184 in 1990.

Adjusted for inflation, that's a threefold drop.

<snip>

In Washington, the war on drugs has been a third-rail issue since

its inauguration. It's obvious why -- telling people that their kids

can do drugs is the kiss of death at the ballot box. But that was

before 9/11. Now the drug war is undermining Western security

throughout the world. In one particularly revealing conversation, a

senior official at the British Foreign Office told me, "I often

think we will look back at the War on Drugs in a hundred years' time

and tell the tale of 'The Emperor's New Clothes.' This is so

stupid."

How right he is.

---

misha.glenny at which.net

Misha Glenny is a former BBC correspondent and the author of

"McMafia: A Journey Through the Global Underworld," to be published

next year.

Full article at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/17/AR2007081701716.html