[lbo-talk] sketching an "anti-economist"

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 12:58:38 PDT 2007

On 8/22/07, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:

> Andy F wrote:
>
> > The Nation recently had a splash page asking for donations referencing
> > this, implying that the rates favored larger publications. Is there
> > anything to that?
>
> That's what I understand, but I'd be at a loss to explain how this works.
>
> It would be ironic for the Nation to be saying this, because the Nation
> is a large publication with a circulation of around 180,000. By
> comparison, when I worked at Science magazine, our circ was a bit under
> 150,000.

Yes, and that's a relatively small circulation. the atlantic claims a ratebase of 375,000; the new yorker just under a million; Cosmo uses a ratebase of nearly 3million. Sports Illustrated claims 3.25m. i think when the nation says "favored larger publications," they probably mean that. I couldn't find circulation or ratebase numbers on the nation web site.

but, as a sidenote, cruising around looking for these numbers, i came across an interesting and in certain respects (but not all) suprising study about how much every one still likes print. even if we think the numbers are off, they'd have to be waaaaay off in order fro this not to be considered significant.

http://www.circman.com/viewmedia.asp?prmMID=3302