[lbo-talk] Barbara Ehrenreich Loses Her Mind

Dmytri Kleiner dk at telekommunisten.net
Thu Aug 23 15:46:30 PDT 2007

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:27:54 -0500, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> from Ehrenreich's blog] SMASHING CAPITALISM
>>
>> http://ehrenreich.blogs.com/barbaras_blog/2007/08/smashing-capita.html
>>
>> Somewhere in the Hamptons a high-roller is cursing his
>> cleaning lady and shaking his fists at the lawn guys.
>> The American poor, who are usually tactful enough to
>> remain invisible to the multi-millionaire class,
>> suddenly leaped onto the scene and started smashing
>> the global financial system. Incredibly enough, this
>> may be the first case in history in which the
>> downtrodden manage to bring down an unfair economic
>> system without going to the trouble of a revolution.
>
> I've always had differences with Ehrenreich, but I never dreamed that
> she could be this abysmally stupid. From the earliest days of capitalism
> all sorts of capitalist have gone bust, with no threat to the system.
> Periodically, hundreds of capitalists go broke, with no threat to the
> system.

Um, she is joking. The article ends with:

--- start quote ---

Global capitalism will survive the current credit crisis; already, the government has rushed in to soothe the feverish markets. But in the long term, a system that depends on extracting every last cent from the poor cannot hope for a healthy prognosis. Who would have thought that foreclosures in Stockton and Cleveland would roil the markets of London and Shanghai? The poor have risen up and spoken; only it sounds less like a shout of protest than a low, strangled, cry of pain.

--- end quote ---

-- Dmytri Kleiner editing text files since 1981

http://www.telekommunisten.net