[lbo-talk] Barbara Ehrenreich Loses Her Mind

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 24 10:04:12 PDT 2007

On Aug 24, 2007, at 12:30 PM, Jim Straub wrote:

> Speaking of this Josephson book, will
> the book about the us ruling class you're writing be like it, doug,
> but
> updated to present times? because pound for pound, I think the
> funniest and
> most robber-baronly series of embarrassign scandals by corrupt
> right-wingers
> these days was the whole conrad black broohahah. I guess he got
> offf on
> most charges, but still, all that crap seemed pure josephson.

As Michael Pollak pointed out to me the other week, drawing on an FT piece, Black had always cheered the U.S. and denounced the UK and Canada as pussy countries. So now the non-pussy country is sending him to jail for the rest of his life, whereas in the pussy countries he mightn't have even been charged with a crime.

As for my book, we just don't have the raw material today. We can make fun of Steve Schwarzman for his $400 stone crab lunches, but Rupert Murdoch didn't hire goons to take over the Dow Jones headquarters or set up companies that competed with News Corp. that would damage the company while enriching him personally. Conrad Black is no Jay Gould!

Doug